What a deal! What a week! Embrace your creativity in creative San Miguel.
SAN MIGUEL de ALLENDE, Mexico
February 1 – 8, 2018
ALICIA RASLEY- Story Writing Workshop: $400 for Daily Writing Instruction
and Individual Coaching (beginner or advanced)
$1,600 LAND ONLY per person double occupancy
$250 Single Supplement available on a limited base
- 7 nights, 8 days Casa de la Noche, Bed and Breakfast located in the historic central district.
- Daily full breakfast.
- Round trip airport Leon / Casa de la Noche transportation regardless of your flight.
- Welcome Margarita Party.
- Half Day walking tour of historic area.
- Cooking Class of typical Mexican food with Kirsten West, evening class.
- Day Trip around the area; Guanajuato, Dolores Hidalgo, Valenciana, Atotonilco.
- Sunday House and Garden Tour, fee for ticket, not included, optional.
- Studio visit to William Harris, gorgeous, original costume jewelry, tour of houses and picturesque garden.
- Fabulous crafts; ceramics, pewter, silver, rugs, art, folk art, local music, and more!
TENTATIVE ITINERARY for SAN MIGUEL de ALLENDE, Mexico
February 1 – 8, 2018
Alicia Rasley- Story Writing Workshop
Non-Writers – spouses, partners, friends– welcome!
San Miguel de Allende is filled with opulent mansions, and unique, handsome churches. It was once an important crossroads for mule trains carrying silver and gold to the capital. They returned with European treasures. It was where the movement of the Revolution of Independence from Spain started as it was the birthplace of Ignacio Allende, a hero of Mexican Independence. La Parroquia is the main church in the center of town in El Jardin, built by self-taught local architect, Zeferino Gutierrez. It is a confection as you have never seen before. Come explore the Colonial Heartland, see private gardens and exotic plants / flowers, artisan crafts, original art, fabulous cuisine, traditions, and cultural history! And get insight and camaraderie with other writers, and the affirmative, expert teacher, Alicia Rasley.
(Writers’ Option) Daily writing workshops with master writing coach Alicia Rasley. Topics will include:
Busting writer’s block with innovative muse-sparking exercises.
Structuring your story for maximum drama and power
Sending a message: Using theme and motif to inspire and instruct
Finding and refining your own vivid voice
Building bolder scenes
(And if you want me to teach about something else, just ask!)
What no one else will tell you: Insider info from a veteran writer/editor/publisher
Your own individual consultation with Alicia — your questions answered!
More information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fly into Leon, Mexico (Houston and Dallas are the usual American gateways). You will be met by private car or van and transported to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, about an hour and a half drive. Airport / hotel round trip transportation is provided regardless of time of flight.
- Casa de la Noche, a charming B & B with full breakfast daily. It also has on the property the Bordello Galleria with original paintings of the area for sale. Yes, if our walls could talk, what stories we would hear as this B & B was originally the place for “ladies of the night”.
- Casa Contenta, same owner of charming B & B with full breakfast. Rooms are limited so book early. Casa Contenta is for overflow. It is cheaper than Casa de la Noche, but it will include executive car service to where the main group is located so this evens the cost out.
- Welcome Margarita Party with margaritas, non alcoholic drinks, guacamole, pico de galo, quesadillas, flautas (deep fried corn tortillas with meat, vegetable or cheese filling), sopes (snacks with different toppings on a thick handmade cornmeal base).
- Half-day walking tour of the historic Central including Escuela de Belles Artes which was a former convent, now a school of cultural options, and has an unfinished 1940s mural by David Alfaro Siqueiros.
- Flower Market at the Parque Juarez with live entertainment each evening such as mariachi bands, dancing, guitar players, etc. See plants and flowers indigenous to Mexico.
- Cooking class demonstration and hands on of typical Mexican cuisine with Kirsten West, who once was the chef for Mick Jagger, has contributed to Rick Bayless’s cook books. This will be an evening class.
- Day Tour of the area; Guanajuato the Capital and birth place of Diego Rivera, Dolores Hidalgo, Valenciana with its gold church and Atotonilco with the indigenous, hand painted mural inside, local hand-painted ceramics. Artists, bring your sketch books and your cameras. Writers, bring your journals to record your impressions!
- Exclusive Appointment at the studio of William Harris, craftsman of fantastic, original jewelry. The studio is housed in their home which is a virtual museum of local art and folk art. Two houses with a magnificent, exotic garden in between. See 100 varieties of local trees.
- Sunday House and Garden Tour. Small fee for ticket which benefits the local school children to buy their books and uniforms. Usually two exquisite homes and gorgeous gardens with bus transportation included. Meet at La Biblioteca around 10:30 am to socialize, live Mariachi music at 11:00 am, crafts for sale, books and photos for sale by author / photographer. Tour starts at noon. Optional activity whether you paint or not.
- Aurora – This is an old textile factory which now houses art galleries, antique boutiques, and unique shops located on the outskirts of town.
- The Hot Springs – optional. Bring your bathing suit and spend a day at the springs. Food and drinks available for purchase.
Non-refundable and non-transferable deposit of $500 due June 1, 2017
Final payment, single supplement, Art Workshop fee due September 1, 2017
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept credit cards.
Make checks payable to: Fashion Perspective Tours
Mail to: Pamela Sexton
Fashion Perspective Tours
P.O. Box 444
Rockville, VA 23146 – 0444
Questions? 804 / 501-6605
Not included in the tour;
- Travel Insurance, our insurance brochure will be snail mailed when we receive your deposit.
- Tips for Drivers and Guides
- Tips for staff at Casa de la Noche. Suggested $3 – $4 USD per day per person. You will be there 8 days so $25 or $30 USD per person can be left in an envelope at front desk upon departure.
- House and Garden Tour La Biblioteca ticket
- Air round trip – your gateway / Leon, Mexico (BJX)
- Lunch, dinner except for cooking class which includes dinner. Margarita Party has substantial food which you may call dinner.
Clip and mail with deposit: San Miguel de Allende, February 1 – 8, 2018
Name as or will be on passport___________________________________________
Room mate (if you have someone you want to room with)____________________________________________________________
Will you be an artist participating in the Art Workshop______yes, ______no
Will you be a writer participating in the Writing Workshop ____ yes ____ no
Optional Extension for 3 nights in Guanajuato. Are you interested?______yes,______no
In Guanajuato, there is plenty to do such as;
- The Don Quixote Museum
- Teatro Juarez
- Overview of the city with the history explained
- Gorky Gonzalez Atelier. The President of Mexico calls Gorky Gonzalez a national treasure. He passed away in January of 2017 and was a famous artist who turned to ceramics and reproduced the traditional majolica of the region..
- Art and craft boutiques.